A facelift, clinically known as rhytidectomy is the most extensive procedure to reduce or remove the appearance of wrinkles and other telltale signs of aging on the face. In a traditional facelift, Dr. Gallo will tighten the skin and tissues of the face and reposition the skin smoothly over the face.
Dr. Gallo also performs other facelift-type of procedures that are minimally invasive and include the mini-facelift, liquid facelift, silhouette life, cable lift and thread lift.
Dr. Gallo is internationally known for creating natural looking facelift results. In this video is provides an overview of the procedure.
What does a facelift do?
Facelift surgery is used to reduce or remove the signs of aging from your skin and improve the overall appearance of the jaw and face. This surgery is also effective in reversing the harmful effects of stress, time and exposure to other elements.
A surgical facelift is performed by lifting and tightening the underlying muscles of the face, resulting in more youthful looking appearance. Dr. Gallo (board certified facial plastic surgeon) also removes excess pockets of skin and fat that can contribute to an aged, wrinkled and tired appearance.
Depending on what kind of change you would like to see, patients and Dr. Gallo can choose from a traditional facelift, mini-facelift, neck lift or limited incision facelift.
Find out what
Dr. Gallo can do for you.
Who is a candidate?
The ideal candidate for a facelift must have realistic expectations about the surgery and should be willing to follow the pre and post-operative guidelines given by the facial plastic surgeon. After a one-on-one consultation, Dr. Gallo will decide whether the patient is a good candidate for the desired look. In some cases, Dr. Gallo may suggest an alternate procedure.
The following is a list of traits that may determine whether the patient is a good candidate for facelift surgery:
- Skin Elasticity: The candidate must have skin that has some of its natural flexibility and suppleness. This is important as it will allow the surgeon to reduce wrinkles and tighten facial skin during the surgery. Optimal results and successful healing depends on how well the skin is able to conform to its new contours.
- Good Overall Health: The candidate must have good overall health and patients must inform the surgeon if they have any pre-existing medical conditions. Facelift surgery is an invasive procedure and requires a significant amount of healing. It is thus essential that the patient is physically healthy to withstand the effects of the surgery.
- Strong Bone Structure: The facelift candidate must have a well-defined underlying bone structure, this will contribute to more satisfying results after the surgery. Patients who do not possess distinct features are likely to benefit from an alternative procedure such as facial implants.
- Loose Skin on the Face or Neck: Removing excess skin from the face and/or neck reduces the appearance of wrinkles and tightens the surrounding skin. Dr. Gallo may trim the loose skin during the procedure.
FACELIFT IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER PROCEDURES
- Facelift surgery can be combined with a variety of other procedures to enhance the outcome of the surgery such as wrinkle reduction by injection, facial implants, prp therapy or energy based treatments such as laser and radio frequency.
The Facelift Surgery Process
The procedure starts with a pre-op discussion with the patient coordinator and Dr. Gallo, reviewing your goals for the surgery and outcome. Dr. Gallo may use a pen to markup the face prior to the operation at this time as well.
Next, the anesthesiologist will meet with you to review your medical history and history of medications. These choices include general anesthesia or intravenous sedation. Depending on your overall health and the time duration of the surgery, the Dr. Gallo and the Anesthesiologist will recommend which option is better suited for you.
After all the preparation work is complete and the surgical team is prepared, you will enter the accredited operating room.
The incision of a traditional facelift surgery is made in the hairline at the temples and continues around the ear and reaches the lower scalp. The surgeon may redistribute or sculpt fat from the face, neck and jowls while the underlying tissues are also repositioned. Dr. Gallo is also likely to reposition the deeper layers of face and the muscles as they are lifted.
If necessary, a second incision is made under the chin to further improve the aging neck. Skin adhesives or sutures are used to close the incisions.
Towards the end of the procedure, the skin is redraped over the new or improved uplifted contours. Dr. Gallo will then trim away the excess skin.
Mini-lifts are an alternative to traditional facelift and uses shorter incisions at the temples. Mini-lifts are recommended for patients with less skin relaxation however, the results are less rejuvenating compared to a full facelift.
The neck lift is a surgical procedure designed to specially cater to loose neck skin, sagging jowls and excess fat accumulation under the chin. The incision is made in front of the ear lobe and ends behind the ear.
The recovery time of the surgical procedure depends on the type of facelift and whether the patient has opted for additional procedures or not.
Once the anesthesia wears off, the patient will possibly feel a little bit cold and nauseous; however, these effects will eventually subside once the medication wears off. Patients will have bandages around their faces while some may also have drainage tubes, depending on the intensity of the procedure.
If the patient does have drainage tubes, they should expect it for at least 24 hours. Patients are likely to experience some discomfort, pain and swelling particularly during the first day. However, these symptoms may be controlled by using pain medication prescribed by the surgeon, rest and ice/cooling packs.
Having facelift surgery can make your facial skin look younger and healthier. While your skin will still continue to age, a facelift helps take off years from the look of your face. For some patients, this can increase self-confidence and reduce the stress and anxiety over growing old.
While a facelift surgery can significantly reduce signs of aging, it cannot remove facial wrinkles around the eyes, lips or below the nose and reverse sun damage to the skin. For best results, patients are advised to opt for facelift along with others procedures such as eyelid surgery or dermal fillers improve the look of the skin.