Chin Augmentation and Implants in Miami
Chin augmentation is a surgical procedure used to alter and enhance the underlying structure of a person’s face, and helps provide better balance and definition to the facial features. The medical terms genioplasty or mentoplasty are used to refer to the addition and reduction of material to the patient’s chin.
Chin augmentation can be attained by manipulating the patient’s jaw bone; augmentation using this technique often gives a more dramatic and prominent correction compared to the use of prosthetic implants. It restores harmony to your face, provides a lift to your neck, and balances the anatomical connection between your chin, nose and brow.
Chin augmentation is a very popular procedure as it is relatively easy compared to other surgical procedures and produces significant changes in the silhouette of your face. The surgery is typically performed by an otolaryngologist, maxillofacial and oral surgeon, or plastic surgeon.
How a Chin Augmentation with Implants is Performed
To augment your chin, the surgeon will make an incision either inside your mouth where the lower lip and gum meet or in the crease line under your chin. By stretching the tissue gently, the surgeon will create a space where the implant will be inserted. This implant is usually available in a wide range of shapes and sizes. It is fashioned from synthetic material that feels very similar to the natural tissue found in the chin.
This allows the implant to be custom fitted depending on the configurations of your face. After the implant is secured, the surgeon will close the incision with fine sutures. If the incision is inside the patient’s mouth, usually no scar is visible. However, when the incision is under the chin, minor scarring will be there, but it is imperceptible.
What to Expect During Your Chin Augmentation Consultation
You should consult Dr. Gallo about the proposed chin augmentation procedure. By choosing him you can greatly reduce the risks associated with chin surgery complications as he has years of expertise and experience in chin surgery. He will listen to your specific aesthetic concerns and give you a few appropriate treatment options that are customized to suit your personal desires and needs.
THE CONSULTATION WILL GIVE YOU THE CHANCE TO DISCUSS MATTERS LIKE:
- Goals of the chin augmentation procedure
- Different treatment options that are available
- Likely outcomes of the procedure
- The type of anesthesia that will be used
- Any additional treatment that may be needed
- Any potential complications or risks
- The cost of the procedure
Pre-Operative Instructions to Note
- It is important to follow the instructions listed below before the procedure:
- Avoid products containing aspirin or vitamin E
- Avoid anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil and Anaprox
- Refrain from nicotine products like cigarettes, cigars and even transdermal patches
- Stop drinking alcohol a week before surgery
- Avoid wearing makeup, hair gels or sprays on the day of your surgery
- Avoid extensive sun exposure before surgery
The Chin Implant Operation Process
The chin implant procedure usually takes an hour to perform. The surgeon can use two approaches for the surgery. The first approach involves creating a minor incision along the patient’s natural crease line, which is under the chin, while in the second approach the surgeon makes an incision inside the patient’s mouth.
The methodology will depend on the kind of implant and the current facial anatomy the patient has. Next, the surgeon will create a pocket over the patient’s jaw bone by gently stretching the tissues around the chin. The implant will be inserted and positioned in the pocket properly and the skin will be patched up with fine sutures.
CHIN REDUCTION SURGERY
Another common type of chin augmentation is a chin reduction surgery. In this procedure, a protruding or large chin is transformed, making it more harmonious and visually pleasing. In this surgery, incisions are made inside the mouth or under the chin, and the surgeon accesses the chin and sculpts the bone to achieve a more pleasing shape and size. This procedure is usually more extensive and takes about one to three hours.
- Restrict your activity after chin augmentation procedure
- If the incision was made inside your mouth, rinse your mouth with water after every meal
- Keep the dressing and wound dry and clean for at least 48 hours
- In case of bleeding apply firm pressure for about 5 minutes
- Avoid food items that require prolonged chewing
You are likely to experience some tenderness after the surgery. However, post-operative discomfort and pain can be controlled using medications. You may also feel a tight, stretched sensation after the procedure, but this will subside in one week. After about 6 weeks, the swelling will disappear, but you may resume your normal activities before 6 weeks, usually after 10 days.
The procedure will provide a refinement of your jaw line and improve your facial profile and contours. It will provide your neck the lift that it deserves.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Improve facial harmony by bringing chin into better proportion with other features
- Correct a weak or recessed chin
- Improve definition of the neck and jawline
- Help reduce the appearance of a full or “double” chin caused by a small chin bone